Terms of References
Senior Consultant, National Urban Health Mission (NUHM) under PHA Division
National Health Systems Resource Centre (NHSRC) has been set up under the National Health Mission (NHM) as an autonomous registered society, to channelize technical assistance and capacity building support to the states for strengthening the public health system. The NHSRC is also mandated to contribute towards National strategic health planning and programme design.
If you have a commitment to health equity and excellence, here is a unique chance to work with a team committed to shaping the public health landscape in India. The positions offers you an opportunity to actually participate in the process of strengthening health systems, improving health service delivery and enabling positive health outcomes, through hands on implementation assistance at national, state and district levels. Working with a trans disciplinary team, you can discover, adapt, co-create and disseminate solutions to multiple challenges related to service delivery systems, universal primary health care, human resources for health, community processes, health financing, quality of care, public health planning and health promotion. This is an opportunity to support health systems strengthening at scale, learn from district and sub district implementation, undertake knowledge translation, and enable realization of the vision of universal health coverage.
NHSRC intends to engage Senior Consultant, National Urban Health Mission (NUHM), purely on contractual basis.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Contribute to policy and planning process of NUHM at the central level, and support the implementation process at the state level.
- Closely work with Ministry of Health and state governments, under overall guidance of the Advisor (PHA) to ensure smooth implementation of the program.
- Fix state wise targets at the beginning of the year, prepare a work plan and strive to achieve it within a defined time line.
- Lead and manage a team of consultants and junior consultants, including delegation work, ensure timely delivery of complex tasks, and guide the team in reaching overall program goals.
- Provide technical support to state health departments and Urban Local Bodies (ULBs) in program implementation.
- Conduct periodic monitoring visits to review implementation progress in states, prepare reports and follow up on implementation of recommendations by the states.
- Analyze and utilize data and observations from field visits, HMIS, Quarterly Progress Reports to address bottlenecks in implementation.
- Guide states for specific program components such as vulnerability mapping, strengthening urban health facilities, conducting outreach activities etc.
- Review and assess urban health proposals from states to facilitate decision making by the Ministry of Health.
- Under the guidance of Advisor, lead and coordinate drafting of program documents and guidelines, while collaborating with the Ministry of Health, consulting firms and other stakeholders.
- Liaise at appropriate levels with the Ministry of Health, Asian Development Bank and other implementing partners.
- Coordinate the development of Capacity Building and Orientation Material for various cadres and staff members from health department, municipal bodies and other stakeholders.
- Provide specific capacity building support to states for both program and clinical staff.
- Coordinating and collaborating with other divisions of NHSRC for urban health such as Quality Assurance, Community Processes and Public Health Planning Human Resources for Health, Health Technologies and Healthcare Financing Divisions.
- Undertake any other assignments of PHA division as and when entrusted by Advisor.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Post-graduation or higher qualification in public health, community health, preventive & social medicine
- At least 5 years of post-qualification work experience in Health Systems strengthening, program planning or implementation.
- Demonstrated experience in operationalizing health programmes at field level; working in strengthening of district level health systems.
- Should have a comprehensive understanding of the various aspects of the urban health program.
- Should be able to design strategies to achieve program goals and plan activities towards the same.
- Competency and experience in working on urban health issues at program or policy level, monitoring and evaluation, data analysis, public health administration, governance.
- Computer proficiency with high level of familiarity with commonly used packages like MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills, analytical and interpersonal abilities.
- Ability to develop technical guidelines and documents on urban health.
- Willingness to travel to states & districts to provide technical assistance & ability to work on different assignments simultaneously to meet tight timelines.
- Formal Educational Qualification, Experience and Age could be relaxed for exceptional candidates.
- MBBS or BDS degree
- Research experience on relevant areas of public health
- Published work in the area of health systems or public health
- Candidates with prior experience on urban health programs at central level, state level or with technical support bodies shall be preferred.
Age Limit: 50 years & below. (As on last date of application)
Location: New Delhi with Willingness to travel on need basis
Remuneration Range: Between Rs. 90,000/- to Rs. 1, 30,000/- per month