Terms of Reference
Junior Consultant / Consultant - Public Health Administration (PHA)
National Health Systems Resource Center is a technical support body to the Ministry of Health, with a mandate to support the implementation of National Health Mission (NHM). It has been set up under the NHM as an autonomous registered society to channelize technical assistance and capacity building support to the states for strengthening the public health system. It is also mandated to contribute towards national strategic health planning and program design. NHSRC is organized around multiple divisions namely Community Processes, Quality Assurance, Public Health Planning, Public Health Administration, Health Financing, Health Technologies, HMIS and Human Resource for Health.
Public Health Administration Division (PHA) deals with the strengthening of public health system in relation to challenges faced in governance and management, especially in the context of reforms guided by National Health Mission. The Division provides technical support to States on infrastructural requirements of health facilities for practicing technical protocols in critical and non-critical care areas. The Division also helps States, Districts and hospitals in ensuring delivery of quality services which meet the expectations of both clients and service providers. Other areas of PHA’s work include RMNCH+A, Maternal and Child Death Review, PMSMA, legal framework for public health and National Urban Health Mission.
NHSRC seeks to recruit Junior Consultant / Consultant purely on contractual basis to extend his or her support to the PHA division of NHSRC. The Junior Consultant / Consultant will work under the supervision of Senior Consultant-PHA, and under the overall guidance of Advisor, PHA.
- Systematic collection, documentation & presentation of information on health system and health needs for providing inputs to key decision makers
- Analysis of data from HMIS & its use for decision makers at central, state and district level
- Support the PHA team in building capacities at district and state level for making state and district health plans and for review & improving the plans, using both epidemiological and HMIS inputs and support on budgeting and financial planning as required by the poor performing states
- Provide Technical Assistance in areas related to health systems strengthening such as Public Health Planning, Community Processes, Human Resources for Health, Health Management Information Systems, Health Care Financing etc.
- Undertake field visit to assess progress of skill laboratories for competency based training, QA initiatives undertaken by states, Maternal / Child Death or Near Miss Reviews and in collection and development of background materials for publications of the Division
- Support the Division in organization of national, regional and state level workshops and consultations for orienting States on specific technical areas
- Maintain data base of all relevant documents/communications related to allocated work area
- Should be able to manage and coordinate the grievance redressal system
- Any other duties that may be assigned by the PHA division
- Post-graduation or higher qualification in Public heath, community medicine, preventive and social medicine
- One year of post-qualification working experience for Junior Consultant and two years of post-qualification working experience for Consultant, especially in core public health domains like maternal and child health/ NRHM/ NHPs/ RMNCH+A/ health planning/ Health policy and advocacy/ Public Health system strengthening or Health Care Management
- Vibrant, dynamic and highly motivated with a sense of initiative and ownership, and ready to take any responsibility assigned as a part of the team
- Ability to produce high quality written work, with great attention to detail, within tight deadlines
- Passionate about working on health systems issues, particularly for the poor and vulnerable population, and keen on working on policy at national level, with a problem-solving approach
- Ability to question while bringing fresh and innovative ideas to the team; Should be observant and keen, with ability to respond appropriately in any situation
- Computer proficiency with high levels of familiarity in commonly used packages like MS Word, Excel, Power Point and Web surfing to search relevant data and documents
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team environment
- Demonstrated experience in operationalizing health program at field level / working in strengthening of district level health systems
- Should be familiar with structure and functioning of district hospitals and facilities below it
- Willingness to travel to states & districts to provide technical assistance & ability to work on different assignments simultaneously to meet the timelines for assignments
- Formal educational qualification, experience and age may be relaxed for exceptional candidates.
- Experience in working under Model Health Districts either at central or state level.
- Organizing workshops at national & state level for health infrastructure particularly critical care areas like High Dependency Unit, Operation Theatre, Labour Room, Labs, CSSD, etc.
Age Limit: For Junior Consultant - upto 30 Years and for Consultant - upto 40 Years
Location: The position is New Delhi based with travel to different states and districts
Contract tenure: One year with 3 months of probation
Remuneration Range: For Junior Consultant - Between Rs. 30,000/- to Rs. 39,000/- per month and for Consultant - Between Rs. 40,000/- to Rs. 90,000/- per month.