Terms of Reference
Junior Consultant / Consultant - National Urban Health Mission (NUHM)
National Urban Health Mission (NUHM) as a sub-mission of National Health Mission (NHM) was launched to address the health care needs of the urban population with a focus on the urban vulnerable such as street children, construction workers, rickshaw pullers, sex workers, street vendors, migrant workers, etc. The Mission aims to strengthen existing health care service delivery system, establish new health facilities as required, strengthen community linkages, build capacities of urban health staff and integrate existing disease control programs. With Urban Local Bodies as important stakeholders in urban health, the Mission seeks to strengthen the urban health capacity of ULBs and address social determinants of health in partnership with municipal bodies.
National Health Systems Resource Center, a technical support body to the Ministry of Health, works with the Ministry in supporting states in implementation of the NUHM. Various divisions in NHSRC contribute to the implementation of NUHM in states, as per their technical area. The Public Health Administration (PHA) Division coordinates with all divisions and the Ministry for taking the Mission forward.
The Public Health Administration seeks to recruit Junior Consultant / Consultant purely on contractual basis to support the implementation of NUHM. The Junior Consultant / Consultant will work under the overall guidance of the Advisor to PHA Division and supervision of Senior Consultant NUHM, and is expected to contribute to planning process of NUHM at Central level and support its implementation at the state level.
- Support the PHA team in providing technical support to States and urban local bodies for implementation of NUHM
- Conduct periodic monitoring visits to review NUHM implementation progress in States, prepare reports and follow up on implementation of recommendations by the states
- Analyze and utilize the data from field visit observations, HMIS, progress reports to identify bottlenecks in implementation and suggest possible solutions
- Maintain an archive of state wise data on program implementation, progress, innovations and PPP models etc.
- Assist advisor and senior consultant in development of program guidelines and capacity building material
- Support the PHA team in providing capacity building support to States, Support in development of program guidelines, capacity building material and other documents
- Support organization of NUHM workshops and meetings for the Division
- Coordinate with other divisions of NHSRC in relation to urban health like Quality assurance, Community Processes, Public Health Planning, Human resource for Health, Health technologies and Health Financing divisions
- Work on other assignments of PHA divisions as and when required
- Masters degree in social development related field such as public health/Sociology/MSW/development studies
- One year of post-qualification working experience for Junior Consultant and two years of post-qualification working experience for Consultant, in the social development sector, preferably, but not essentially in public health
- Vibrant, dynamic and highly motivated with a sense of initiative and ownership, and ready to take any responsibility assigned as a part of the team
- Ability to produce high quality written work, with great attention to detail, within tight deadlines
- Passionate about working on health systems issues, particularly urban health systems and policy at national level, with a problem-solving approach
- Ability to question while bringing fresh and innovative ideas to the team; Should be observant and keen, with ability to respond appropriately in any situation.
- Good understanding of social development and health issues in the country
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, analytical and interpersonal abilities, excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Willingness to travel to states & districts to provide technical assistance
- ability to work on different assignments simultaneously to meet the timelines for assignments
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, Power Point)
- Formal educational qualification, experience and age may be relaxed for exceptional candidates.
- Research experience on relevant areas of public health
- Knowledge of National Health Mission and National Health Programs
- Experience in working on health issues at program or policy level, monitoring and evaluation, data analysis, public health administration, governance
- Experience of working directly with urban and rural communities, particularly with the vulnerable and socially marginalized groups.
Age Limit: For Junior Consultant - upto 30 Years and for Consultant - upto 40 Years
Location: The position is New Delhi based with travel to different states and districts
Contract tenure: One year with 3 months of probation
Remuneration Range: For Junior Consultant - Between Rs. 30,000/- to Rs. 39,000/- per month and for Consultant - Between Rs. 40,000/- to Rs. 90,000/- per month.