Terms of Reference
Advisor - Health Policy and Integrated Planning and Lead NPMU
National Health Systems Resource Centre (NHSRC) has been set up under the National Health Mission (NHM) as an autonomous registered society, to channelize technical assistance and capacity building support to the states for strengthening the public health system. The NHSRC is also mandated to contribute towards National strategic health planning and programme design through partnerships with the core planning and implementation units /teams in states and districts and by a system of experience sharing and learning.
MoHFW finalizes the policies and the implementation strategies with the technical assistance and capacity building support from NHSRC. The PIP (Programme Implementation Plan) exercise carried out every year integrates all the policies and implementation strategies and translates them into work plan and budget. The National Programme Management Unit (NPMU) housed in MoHFW supports the ministry and the States in contextualizing and finalizing the plans and their approvals.
With the increase in scope of NHM and seamless convergence of RCH, NUHM, DCP and NCDs through health systems approach there is a need to integrate, streamline and strengthen the working between the divisions, NPMU and NHSRC so that the robust knowledge and evidence base gets reflected in the planning and implementation.
In order to carry out further strengthening NPMU and NHSRC, NHSRC intends recruiting Advisor (Health Policy & Planning) and Lead NPMU purely on contractual basis. The incumbent would be required to work closely with the MoHFW and NPMU; and would be expected to mentor, develop and coordinate the work of the consultants in the NPMU.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Lead NPMU in providing technical support/ handholding to the State in better planning and implementation. Assist States in development of policy and strategy under the overall framework of NHM, national health policy along with local contextualization.
- Support MoHFW in evidence generation by designing /taking up implementation research, undertaking analysis with help of NPMU in consultation with MoHFW, technical divisions and States to feed into the planning process as evidence.
- Mentor/coach, develop, and co-ordinate the working of NPMU consultants. Co-ordinate with States to facilitate technical inputs and timely information required to further the goals of NHM.
- Develop recommendations for integration, convergence and universalization of programs subsumed under health systems.
- Support MoHFW in planning in an integrated manner across the pools to minimise duplications and verticality. Develop systems to monitor and improve outputs from resources allocated.
- Co-ordinate the annual planning process along with NPMU consultants and make it efficient and more evidence based. Support NPMU consultants in the work related to their thematic area.
- Develop and update guidelines pertaining to planning and budgeting in consultation with the divisions and States.
- Support MoHFW in leveraging IT in the planning process and provide inputs to make it user friendly.
- Assist in anticipating, planning strategies and engineering health sector reforms in all their diversity and complexity.
- Develop framework for performance based budgeting and support MoHFW in assessment of conditionalities and ranking of States on various parameters.
- Support NIHFW and NHSRC in developing and carrying out comprehensive and continuous capacity building of SPMU, DPMU, BPMU and hospital managers.
- Provide technical assistance to implementation and scale up of innovative approaches/pilots as required by MoHFW and States.
- Develop systems leveraging available data sources; survey data as well as data from HMIS, MCTS, MCTFC and FMR to track both physical and financial progress of the programmes. Recommend required improvements to monitor better and achieve the programme goals.
- Study, analyse and compare across states to understand policies, strategies, structures and leadership practices which work well and document them with the help of NPMU for dissemination among the States.
- Prepare concept notes and recommendations on major challenges and key issues based on consultations with the Stakeholders particularly states.
- Support MoHFW in preparing guidelines for PIPs and preparing RoPs post the NPCC meetings.
- Undertake such other assignments, which may be assigned by from time to time by ED NHSRC/the Ministry.
Qualifications & Experience
- MBA or Masters in Public health from a reputed and recognised institution
- At least 15 years post qualification experience in Health Systems, Health System Research, Health Planning and implementation of health service delivery
- Published work in the area of health systems or public health
- Demonstrated experience in planning and strategy development, demonstrated experience in operationalizing health programme at field level. Experience of working in strengthening state/district level health systems
- Hands-on experience in capacity building
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team environment, taking initiative and delivering quality inputs within the time-limits
- Experience of working with senior government officials at central and state level
- Capacity to effectively co-ordinate with the various divisions within MoHFW and States
- Computer proficiency with high level of familiarity with commonly used packages like MS Word, Excel, Power Point
- Good oral presentation and writing skills
Age Limit: 60 years and below
Location: New Delhi with requirement of extensive travel to states & districts. Travel could be up to 50% of time in a month.
Remuneration Range: Between Rs. 1,50,000/- to Rs. 2,00,000/- per month
Contract Tenure: One Year & Extendable
- Please ensure to mention exact position applied for in the subject-line of the e-mail, without which resumes will not be accepted.
- It is mandatory to mention Date of Birth, Year of Passing the Degrees, Current and Past Employment dates on your resume, without which it will not be accepted.